Monday, July 24, 2017

Going public

Well, today I went public!  I have been using this site as a journal, but not anymore.  I started blogging here 2 years ago and since then, I have slowly added more weight and at the same time, increased my knowledge that what I am eating is all wrong.

14 years ago, I had gastric bypass surgery and lost 135 pounds (including the 10 pounds of extra skin I had removed from stomach and breast).  As of this morning, I have gained back 32.9 pounds.  I have a problem!!!

My mind keeps going back to what the surgeon said about protein.  My new stomach wouldn't be able to assimilate the protein so I would need double what most people need.  I started eating meat, cheese and eggs first and then if I had any room left over I would get to veggies and fruit.  I ended up with a serious case of osteoporosis.  I was told I had the bones of an 80 year old and I was still in my 50's.  I was put on osteo meds and none of them worked.  I gave myself shots, I ate more cheese (I don't like to drink milk - never have), cottage cheese, I even ate yogurt (YUCK!!!).

Finally, after my husband died and I could eat the way I wanted without having to make 2 meals, I started doing the research.  I have cut way back on the cheese factor, started eating more fruits and vegetables and started taking supplements to help my body assimilate things better.  I have been able to reverse the osteo to the point of not having it anymore.

But I have still been doubling my protein consumption.  MEAT!!!

I have been reading a book by a gastric bypass surgeon that says animal protein is not necessary.  Not only is it not necessary, it is not healthy.  Now, I have known for a long time about the meat industry and the abuse of animals, but in the back of my mind has always been the voice of my surgeon stating that I need double.

I have now realized that eating animal protein is the worst way for me to get my protein.  It doesn't digest for 24-48 hours (or maybe not at all in my revised system), and therefore is not doing me any good at all.  But if I eat a spinach salad, it is digested in a matter of an hour or two and there is enough protein and calcium to take care of my needs.  And if I put spinach into my smoothie and blend it up to the point of liquefaction, the digestion time is even less and the absorption is quicker.

I will have to keep reminding myself that meat is bad for me. but I will do this.  Cheese is not needed by this body anymore.  And fast food is the devil!!!

I can do this and I will do this.  I know that a plant based lifestyle is for me.

So, here goes!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment